Saltman Quarterly (SQ), founded at the University of California, San Diego in 2004, is the university’s award-winning undergraduate biological sciences communication program.
The Saltman Quarterly Program is made of several components:
- Saltman Quarterly Research Journal – our flagship publication, established in 2004 and published annually. The peer-reviewed journal highlights student research manuscripts, features articles, and abstracts & brevias from undergraduate and BS/MS students completing research projects
- Under the Scope – in its fourth year of publication, UTS features in-depth articles from students who presented research projects in the previous year’s Biological Research Showcase. UTS aims to present student profiles and research in a way that is accessible and informative for students of all majors
- SQ Online – launched in the 2013-14 school year, the site aims to be a hub for all undergraduate biology majors to interact as a community. We publish student-interest pieces including profiles, student blogs, campus research & resources in a variety of formats. SQ Online encourages dialogue and camaraderie amongst students.
- SQ Insider – the print companion to SQ Online (which, true to our name, is published quarterly) that highlights several popular articles from our site and informs the student body of opportunities within the SQ and biology communities. We distribute SQ Insider to all advising offices on campus, as well as resource and community centers.
- Community Outreach – Community Outreach develops projects that involve the San Diego community, particularly San Diego middle and high schools, to expand Saltman Quarterly’s goals beyond UCSD. The program seeks to educate and to increase excitement for sciences to a variety of populations.
- Undergraduate Biology Research Showcase – Biology undergraduates and Masters students are invited to present a poster based on research they are conducting while at UC San Diego. At the showcase, students are expected to present their research to attendees and faculty judges. Top posters receive awards at the conclusion of the event. To find out more or register for the showcase click here.
For detailed membership information and journal descriptions, visit the About page on our information website.
Visit our Staff section to get to know our editorial staff, the group that works throughout the year to bring all the components of the SQ Program together.